This website uses Cookies. You will accept these by click on the button "continue". For more information read our page "Private Policy".  

Education, studying, youth mobility and research

I am a British citizen. Can I study at an Austrian university?

Yes. From the date of the UK's withdrawal from the EU, university applicants from the UK must fulfill the subject-specific admission requirements as well as have a general university entrance qualification. In addition, applicants must provide proof that they are entitled to immediate admission to university in the country that issued the university entrance qualification certificate. Proof of a university place is not required. If the intended course of study in Austria is not established in the country in which the certificate was issued, the applicant must meet the course-specific admission requirements of the course of study most closely related to the intended course of study in Austria in terms of content, existing in the country that issued the certificate.

I am a British citizen and am studying at an Austrian university. Will I now pay higher tuition fees than before?

Yes. From the date of the UK's withdrawal from the EU, UK students will be subject to the regulations for third-country nationals with respect to tuition fees at universities and teacher training colleges (726.72 euro per semester). There will be no change for school pupils due to the principle of free education at state schools.

Will I now lose my education grant (education allowance or student grant) as a British citizen in Austria?

An amendment to the Student Support Act (Studienförderungsgesetz) will enable students from the UK to continue to receive a student grant (Studienbeihilfe) after the UK has left the European Union until they have completed the course of study for which they are receiving the grant.

If the first application for a student grant is made after Brexit, British nationals will in future only be entitled to a student grant, pupil support (Schulbeihilfe) and/or an accommodation grant (Heimbeihilfe) if they have either acquired the permanent right of residence in Austria under Council Directive 2003/109/EC or are entitled to equal treatment as a family member of an EU citizen who has exercised his or her right to freedom of movement.

As far as education allowance (Schüler und Schülerinnenbeihilfe) is concerned, school pupils are entitled to receive pupil support and/or an accommodation grant even if these requirements are not met if at least one parent was liable for income tax in Austria for at least five years and the centre of that parent’s family interests was in Austria.

Will the UK remain part of Erasmus+, the European Solidarity Corps and Horizon 2020?

No. Once the UK leaves the European Union, it will no longer be part of the EU Erasmus+ and European Solidarity Corps programmes. There is a possibility that the UK could become part of these EU programmes as a non-EU member (just like Norway or Turkey, for example). However, this can only be set out in a special agreement after Brexit. The same applies to the EU's research framework programme Horizon 2020.

Further information